4.16.2013

Copycat Recipe: Gluten Free Oreo

Is it possible to make a recipe to similar to an American treat we all grew up eating? I took the challenge into my own hands, and made a gluten free version of the iconic treat.



 "Milk's Favorite Cookie" well, dairy free milk, that is. I have always been an Oreo girl. When I was 3, while my mom was sleeping, I got into the Oreos, and ate the whole box! I even categorized the cookie and cream into two different piles.

 I was so excited when I found this recipe (from my life saver over at Cakes 'N' Bakes) I'm talking about jumping around the kitchen, excited. I mean this is life changing news: Gluten Free Oreos that taste like the real thing. They are even better than Oreos. And the filling...oh yum. It is so creamy and fluffy- way better than that industrial taste that regular Oreos have. These may possibly be the best cookies I have ever eaten. 











Isn't that just a happy spatula?!












Copycat Recipe: Gluten Free Oreos:

Cookie-
1/2 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
1 egg, beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/4 cup all purpose gluten free flour
1/2 cup dutch process cocoa
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt


  1. Preheat oven to 350. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment.
  2. In a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream shortening and sugar until smooth (3-4 minutes). Add in egg and vanilla, continuing to mix until smooth (2-3 minutes).
  3. In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa, baking soda, xanthan gum, baking powder, and salt. Add to shortening mixture in three parts, and mix another 1-2 minutes until fully incorporated.
  4. With a cookie scoop, place balls onto baking sheet. Using a square of parchment and a cup slightly flatten the dough about 1/4 thickness. If desired, use a fork and place holes onto cookie. 
  5. Bake for 8-9 minutes, and immediately remove from the oven. (NOTE: cookies will harden once cooled). Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 1-2 minutes before moving to a paper towel or wire rack to cool completely.
Filling-
1/2 cup shortening
2 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon milk (flax, reg, rice, soy, almond will all work)

  1. In a medium bowl, whip shortening, powdered sugar, and vanilla, starting slow in the beginning because of the powdered sugar.
  2. Add milk and continue to whip for 2-4 minutes to create a light, "whippy" frosting.
Assembly-
  1. In a pastry bag, with a 1/2 inch round tip, pipe a teaspoon-sized mount of cream in the center of one cookie. Place another cookie, equal in size to the first, on top of the first cookie. Press lightly to evenly distribute frosting to all parts of both cookies. Continue the process until all cookies have been filled with cream.
  2. Enjoy!
Note: Guar gum can be substituted for xanthan gum.

Source: Cakes 'N' Bakes






2 comments:

  1. These look great
    Can I ask how you get the filling to look so white

    And by shortening do you mean BUTTER or so you some other sort of shortening/solid cooking fat sort of thing (Copha?) can you explain this thanks. In Australia so not sure if would have the same thing here by brand but if you can give me more detail would help thanks.

    My thinking is if this filling was done with butter it would still have a yellowish tinge to it not be so bright and white thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! For the filling, and many other recipes I make, I use Spectrum Organic Vegetable Palm Shortening. They sell it at my local grocery store. It's a healthier alternative than regular shortening because it has no trans fat. It has a high oven temperature, and makes dairy free desserts taste great! It is also white, which is how the filling is white with no yellow tint. If you want to learn more about this product, go to www.spectrumorganics.com. I don't know if this product is sold in Australia, but you could always order it online?!

      Delete