5.15.2013

Brown Sugar Meringues

Have you ever made meringues from scratch? If not, this is your moment to shine. And these are not ordinary meringues, these, my friend are brown sugar meringues. Normal meringues already melt in your mouth, but brown sugar meringues disappear on your tongue so fast, that it almost seems impossible. (Sorry, that was very cheesy, I couldn't contain myself:)
Meringues are one of those foods I would consider a staple in the kitchen. Similarly to how I consider eggs, milk, and an endless stock of gluten free flours a staple. Well, I would also add meringues to that category too. They are just so light and always seem to hit the spot after any meal.

As I have learned, people eat meringues in many different ways. Some stack them, others fill them, me? I just eat them plain. Plain and simple. My second favorite way to eat a meringue was thought up by my grandma (or "grand"). She eats meringues with shaved coconut and strawberries. If you haven't tried this, I would seriously recommend it. Something about all of the flavors together makes the perfect treat and adds an interesting variation to the typical meringue.

Brown Sugar Meringues:
1 egg white
1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon salt
  1. Beat egg whites and cream of tartar with mixer at high speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, vanilla, and salt.
  2. Drop mixture onto parchment lined cookie sheet in 12 mounds. They should be about 2 inches apart.
  3. Bake 40 minutes at 250, or until firm. Turn off oven and let meringues cool in oven for 1 hour. Do not open the oven during this time, or the meringues will flatten.
  4. Enjoy
Notes: First time making meringues? Check out this link, it has some very helpful tips.

Source:All Recipes


1 comment:

  1. I am SO making these!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yum!!!

    ReplyDelete