4.05.2013

Gluten Free Oatmeal Cream Pies



Remember these? Oh yes. Little Debbie Oatmeal Cream Pies! I can remember in third grade, often "trading" my cookie for those sweet little pies that taste like heaven on earth. I've had my fair share of Little Debbie treats. From Nutty Bars, to Swiss Rolls, but my absolute favorite was Oatmeal Cream Pies. It's funny, I don't even like oatmeal. It's just something I always loved about those soft, sweet sandwich cookies. As good as they are (and the bar was set pretty high) I knew I could do better. And that's what I did. In a gluten free kind of way.

 This is one of those "make right now' kind of recipes. Plus it's made with ingredients you have on hand and free of chemicals! 


Look at that big dollop of icing:)


 

 
 
 

 






Cookie:
1 cup brown sugar
1/4 + 2Tbs shortening
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp baking powder
1.5 Tbs boiling water
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 + 1/4 cup oat flour
1 + 1/4 cup oats

Filling:
Vanilla frosting

Preheat oven to 350. Line a baking sheet with parchment and set aside.

Cream shortening And brown sugar for 3 minutes. Add vanilla and egg. Mix to combine.  Add salt, cinnamon, and baking powder and mix. In a small bowl mix baking soda and water. Then add to bowl and mix. Finally add flour and oatmeal and mix well.

Scoop onto pan with a cookie scoop. Bake for 10 minutes. then take out of oven and using the back of a spoon, press lightly on cookie to make flat. this step is optional, but creates a flat cookie. then place back into oven at 350 for 5 more minutes. Remove from the oven, transfer to a wire rack and let cookies cool completely.

Frosting
2 cup powdered sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
Pinch of salt
1 tbs melted shortening
2 tbs flax milk
 
In a medium bowl, use a hand mixer and combine the powdered sugar, vanilla, salt, and shortening. Once mixed, slowly add the milk and mix. If needed add more milk or powdered sugar.



2 comments:

  1. Oh yes Amy! I was one of the ones you traded with!! Those were the good days!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE this blog

    ReplyDelete