3.17.2013

Copycat Recipe: Sunbutter Eggs

 Mmmm...




 There is a major difference between Halloween candy and Easter. Now of course on Halloween I would get more candy, but on Easter I would get my favorite candy, chocolate, nerds, you name it. On  Halloween I always end up with the raisins or stale gum. Usually I would trade it in with my brother or friends, and that would just cause more work and chaos. My favorite Easter candy is by far peanut butter eggs. Unfortunately because my brother is allergic to nuts, I had to trade in my organic, chemical free, all natural chocolate bar with the delicious Reece's Peanut Butter Eggs during lunch:) If I could chose my single favorite candy, it would be peanut butter eggs. I mean Reece's cups are good. But Reece's sunbutter eggs are great. Plus you can impress you friends by making a nut free version of these delights. Besides it's simple:

6 ingredients

1 pot+ 1 bowl + wooden spoon + cookie scoop + baking sheet + wax paper

1 hour

= gluten free, dairy free, nut free Reece's Sunutter Eggs


 
 
 
 
 

These are faster and easier to make than to run to grocery store to buy them. Plus they are free of nuts as well as chemicals with names that you didn't know exist. Doesn't it keep you with peace of mind knowing what is in the food you are eating? 

These irresistible chocolate covered eggs taste just like the real thing. No seriously. They really do.








Recipe:

1C creamy sunbutter
1/4C shortening
1/4C light brown sugar
1 1/4C powdered sugar
2C chocolate chips (I used Enjoy Life to make Dairy free)
2Tbs shortening

Directions:
  1. Line a baking sheet with parchment.
  2. In a medium saucepan, combine the sunbutter, shortening, and brown sugar over medium heat. Heat until completely melted and starts to bubble a little, stirring constantly.
  3. Remove from the heat. Add the powdered sugar a ¼ cup at a time, stirring until completely combined with the peanut butter mixture after each addition. Set aside and let cool to room temperature.
  4. Using a cookie scoop, place scoops onto baking sheet and then form into egg shape. Refrigerate to allow eggs to set, about 30 minutes.
  5.  Once the peanut butter eggs are set, melt the chocolate chips and shortening together in the microwave on 50% power in 30-second increments, stirring after each, until completely melted. One at a time, dip a peanut butter egg into the chocolate and, using a fork, flip it over so it is completely covered. Remove it from the bowl, letting any excess chocolate drip off. Return it to the baking sheet, and repeat with all of the peanut butter eggs. Sprinkle with decorations, if desired. Return the chocolate-covered peanut butter eggs to the refrigerator to allow the chocolate to set, about 30 minutes. Store in the refrigerator in an airtight container until ready to serve.
  6. Enjoy!
Source: Brown Eyed Baker


7 comments:

  1. If I sub butter for shortening will they turn out the same? (I don't need to be dairy free)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not made them that way, but it should work. (The original recipe called for butter) Let me know how it works out!

      Delete
  2. Kim McCloudMarch 20, 2013

    Okay, these look awesome. Can't wait to make them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not tried it, but I don't see why it wouldn't work! I would start with less oil at first, because you can always add more. Tell me how it worked out! :)

      Delete
    2. Coconut oil worked FABULOUS!!! YUMMMMMM!

      Delete
    3. OH, that's great! Thanks for getting back with me!

      Delete