3.12.2013

Chocolate Chip Cookie Brownie




Cookie or brownie? Yes, I know this is an extremely hard question. Why not just have both?! As I was sitting in math, I was daydreaming about my next food creation. Knowing me, who knows what I could come up with. Then all of a sudden it dawned on me. . . cookie and a brownie! I was so excited I went and told all of my friends at lunch. Now because I am as nerdy as food nerds come, they tried to act excited, even though I was the most excited. As soon as I got home I went straight into the kitchen and started baking up a storm! Now, sure, if you wanted to you could only make the brownies, or only make the cookie cake. But together...

Cookie + Brownie = Heaven
 
 
 
 
 
 


 
 
Now it's time for the recipe-
 
 
Cookie:
 
1/2C coconut oil (canola will work)
6 Tbs unsweetened applesauce
2 Tbs vanilla extract
1 1/4C sugar
1 tsp salt
2 1/4 gf all purpose flour
1/4C flax meal
1 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 C chocolate chips
 
Brownie:
 
1/2C + 2T gf all purpose flour
1/4 tsp xanthan gum
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/3C cocoa powder
1C sugar
1/2 C shortening
1 extra large egg plus 1 extra large egg yolk
1/3C cold water
 
Instructions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350. Line a baking sheet with parchment, then grease the sides of the pan.
  2. In a medium bowl, mix the oil, applesauce, vanilla, sugar, and salt with a rubber spatula. In another medium bowl whisk the flour, flax meal, xanthan gum, and baking soda. Carefully add the dry ingredients into the wet, and stir with a wooden spoon until combined. The dough should be thick.
  3. Now, fold in the chocolate chips until evenly distributed.
  4. Using wet hands, press the mixture down to form the first layer.
  5. Now for the brownie layer: Place the flour, xanthan gum, bakig soda, salt, cocoa powder, and sugar in a large bowl. Whisk to combine.
  6. Add the shortening and eggs. Mix to combine. Now add the water. Continue to mix.
  7. Now add the brownie mixture to the cookie dough. Place in oven and bake for 35-40 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
  8. Let cool, cut into slices, and ENJOY!
Source:
 
Babycakes Covers the Classics cookbook,
 
 
 
 
Question of the Day: Do you ever daydream about food creations?

 
 
 


1 comment:

  1. That photo makes me want to make these right now! Choc. Chip Cookie meets brownie...Oh yah! It looks de-licious!! I admit that I daydream about baking and baked goods way more than I should, BUT not about coming up with my own creations. I am find a good one and stick-to-the-recipe kind of gal. That is why your blog is so wonderful...I can leave the creating and experimenting and hockey puck mishaps to you. Why thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete