2.28.2013

chocolate cake cookie

Its a cake and a cookie! You get the best of both worlds. Anyways, need a quick gluten free cookie? Here ya go! This is one of my favorite recipes I make, its so simple and tastes so yummy. I've made this recipe in 20 minutes before, and if you know anything about gluten free cooking, that's pretty darn fast! On your mark, get set, GO!!!





 
 
 
 
 








Chocolate Cake Cookie With Cream Frosting Recipe:

1/2 C plus 1T butter or vegetable shortening
3/4 C sugar
2 t vanilla extract
1/2 C applesauce (unsweetened)
1 large egg
1 1/2 C gluten free flour blend (Bob's Red Mill works)
1/4 plus 2T dutch process cocoa powder
3/4 t guar gum
3/4 t baking powder
3/4 t baking soda
1/8 t salt
1/2 C chocolate chips (I use Enjoy Life)
zest of 1 orange

Cream Filling:

2T butter or shortening
1 1/2 C powdered sugar
1/2 t vanilla
2 T milk (flax, rice, reg, soy, almond)

Ready!? Here we Go...

  1. In a bowl fitted with a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the shortening, sugar, and vanilla- mixing on medium speed. Beat until light and fluffy, 2ish minutes. Add the vanilla, applesauce, and egg. Mix for an additional 30 seconds. Note: this looks very strange, but that's normal!
  2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour mix, guar gum, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
  3. Slowly add the dry ingredients into the wet, add in increments of 1/2 C. This will create a fluffy cake like cookie. Fold in the orange and chocolate chips.
  4. Preheat the oven to 325. Grease a whoopie pie pan or 2 cookie sheets.
  5. Scoop cookie dough into pan and place in oven for 16-20 minutes.
  6. When the cookies come out clean with a toothpick, leave in pan for additional 5 minutes.
  7. Now its time to make the cream filling! In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment or medium bowl with a hand mixer, add the butter, sugar, and vanilla. Using the mixer, blend. It will look like you need more butter, but you don't! Now add the milk and mix. There ya go!
  8. Once the cookies have cooled, move them to a wire rack and let cool for an additional 5 min or until cool to touch. Finally ice, and top with powdered sugar
  9. Enjoy! :)




Notes: You can substitute egg replacer for the egg. You can also use pureed prune baby food in place of the apple sauce. Xanthan gum works in place of the guar gum.

Variations: Take out the orange and add a dash of peppermint to the batter or cream filling.


P.S- Does anyone else do something weird when you bake...? I would love to know:) Do you want to know mine? Well, I love to bake in heels. Yes, those 5in heels I bought for my Miss USA Halloween costume. I just love to wear them while I bake! Plus sometimes I dress up, but now were getting too personal..:) Anyway, tell me what you do while you bake! I can't wait to hear from you. And, please, don't let me down!

2 comments:

  1. I like to wear aprons, the uglier the better and pretend I am a 50s housewife... and of course channel my inner Julia Child. I like the heels idea. I may just adopt that!! Bon Appetit! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is soo funny! I love the idea of pretending I am a 50s housewift:)

    ReplyDelete